Saturday, April 23, 2011

Objective 58: Hormones and Digestion

Relay structure and function of the endocrine system to digestion...........


These two pictures from the Anatomy and Physiology textbook*  along with time in both lab discovery and lecture gave a full understanding of the role that the endocrine system plays in digestion.  The pancreas is labeled as both and endocrine and exocrine gland.  Its exocrine functions include the release of enzymes that aid in digestion and its endocrine functions include the release of both insulin by the beta cells and glucacon by the alpha cells.  These two secretions work antagonistically to one another to maintain the proper amount of glucose in both the blood and the cells.

 I had an "AHA" moment while listening to one of the podcasts regarding glucagon and insulin.  It was so "AHA" and had me so turned around that I actually had to get Jeremy to explain it to me again!  While listening to the podcasts on the endocrine system the question was posed "What would be the result of too much insulin in the blood stream"?  I know the answer to this, I thought!  High blood sugar!  WRONG, so WRONG!  The answer was hypoglycemia.  What?  How can that be?  I was so perplexed that I actually had to grab Jeremy in the parking lot at school, make him listen to that section of the podcast and then pretty much force him to repeatedly explain it to me.  He laughed as he explained that I apparently had the functions of insulin and glucagon backwards.  Insulin actually moves the glucose into the cell while glucagon breaks down glycogen from the liver and puts glucose back into the blood stream. 

Thank you, Jeremy for setting me straight!

Nurse's Note: Diabetes Mellitus occurs when there is too little insulin in the blood and glucose can not be effectively moved into the cells.  There are three cardinal signs of Diabetes Mellitus.  These include polyuria or excessive urine output, polydipsia or excessive thirst, and polyphagia or excessive hunger.

No comments:

Post a Comment